Running a marathon makes your heart younger. Taking part in just one marathon can make your heart ‘younger’ by years, according to new research. Neil and Georgina look at the vocabulary in the news around this story.
Researchers say regular running, no matter how far or how fast, substantially reduces the risk of an early death. A team from Australia, Thailand and Finland examined data on nearly a quarter of a million people, and found that any amount of running was linked to a 27% reduction in mortality.
reduce something by a significant amount
• Running could slash the risk of dying prematurely.
• Rob needs to slash his biscuit intake!
earlier than the expected or natural time
• My sister’s baby was born premature.
• The England fans were premature in their celebration at the Rugby World Cup!
run for your life
move as fast as possible away from danger
• There’s a fire! Run for your life!
• We thought we saw a shark so we ran for our lives!
For a quiz and to download the audio, go to our website http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-12/session-129
[Image: Getty Images]
For more English videos and English lessons to help you learn English: www.bbclearningenglish.com
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.